Workers at Hyundai Heavy Threaten to Strike
Workers at South Korea’s shipbuilding giant Hyundai Heavy Industries will refuse to work after the regular eight-to-five-hours on Thursday after talks over wage dispute collapsed last Wednesday, Business Insider reports.
Kim Hyeong-Gyun , the union spokesman, said that this symbolic overtime walkout could be followed by wider industrial action as early as next week.
The motion to strike was backed by a vast majority of workers, who last staged an all-out strike eighteen years ago.
The wages talks failed after the company refused to meet the union’s demand for a 6.5% increase in basic pay and a one-off bonus amounting to 10 weeks’ wages.
Hyundai Heavy argued the demands were unrealistic seeing that the company posted a USD 1.7 billion operating loss for the first nine months of 2014, also stating that an all-out strike would set the company back an estimated USD 90 million in production losses.
ENGINES & SPARES FOR SALE
- for sale 4 turbochargers ABB Type TPS57D01.
- Caterpillar 3406 Parts CAT 3406 Diesel Generator Set Spare Parts and caterpillar genset parts
- FG Wilson P165-5 Parts/FG Wilson P165-5 Diesel Generator Set Spare Parts Used Perkins 1106A-70TG2 Diesel Engine
- For sale from our very large stock:
- Refurbished Alfa Laval and Westfalia separator for marine vessels
- [ All Subjects ]