Salvors Abandon Today’s Refloating of Hoegh Osaka
Plans to attempt to refloat Hoegh Osaka today have been scrapped by the Svitzer salvor team following the completion of calculations last night, the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency said in an update.
The salvors calculations revealed that more water has entered the vessel than previously thought.
As a result, the preparation for the refloat will take longer than the weather window would allow today.
“The alternative option of securing the Hoegh Osaka will be followed and preparations for the re-float will continue when the weather allows,” the agency said.
Based on the salvors assessment, the cargo is still in position.
As informed, on one deck plant has moved and caused a slight crack in the hull, allowing for ingress of water below the water line.
However, this was rapidly dealt with when discovered by the salvors and there is no evidence of pollution, according to the update.
Salvors from Svitzer managed to board the grounded car carrier Hoegh Osaka on Monday, January 5th.
Senior national secretary of maritime professionals trade union Nautilus International, Allan Graveson voiced the union’s concerns over the safety of car carrier design and operation, in a BBC TV interview.
According to Graveson, both vehicle and livestock carriers are built “to the edge of safety for commercial reasons.”
“There is manifest failure of the regulator that permits the design and operation of ships in this way. Improvements are required and we hope the investigation will examine the root causes of this incident,” he added.
Graveson said the skills and experience of the pilot onboard had helped to prevent a major accident after Hoegh Osaka developed a severe list shortly after leaving port.
ENGINES & SPARES FOR SALE
ENGINES & SPARES WANTED
POWER PLANTS & EQUIPMENTS FOR SALE
- FOR SALE !!! Jenbacher JGS 320 GS.N-L. 1063 KW 400V/50Hz, 32600 Hours Ex. 2011
- Sale complete Brandnew genset MAN B&W 7L32/40
- Sale Completed power gas generator set
- Energy Storage, CAES (Compressed Air Energy Storage) Mobile or Fixed
- SWRO Desalination (Salt Water Reverse Osmosis) Vessel.
- [ All Subjects ]
POWER PLANTS & EQUIPMENTS WANTED
SHIPS FOR SALE
OPEN CARGOES & T/C LIST
OTHER SHIP BUSINESS
- (MARINE HYDRAULIC SOLUTIONS INDIA)
- Iron Roughneck ST-80 for sale
- Steering Gear Hydraulic Pump Mitsubishi Type: 3VFH2B-MK-RFBLA52D11 (Hydraulic Marine Trade (INDIA)
- Kawasaki Staffa Hydraulic Motor HMC 080 FM3 (C & CS Type) Hydraulic Marine Trade INDIA
- ULSTEIN BRATTVAAG ANCHOR WINCH HYDRAULIC MOTOR MC 22 SBR (Hydraulic Marine Trade)
- [ All Subjects ]